Re[1] [linux-lvm] Procedure to pvmove PE's on bad media?

Octavio Di Sciullo o.di-sciullo at caramail.com
Wed Dec 26 15:20:02 UTC 2001

 Yes i'm sure i was root (pvmove isnt in the normal users
path anyway), but i had assumed the "read" and "to_read"
values to be counters, quantifying the progress of the
moving process. Well, thanks for trying to help.

 Octavio

Sciullo wrote:
> > 	I've tried to apply to pvmove (from lvm 0.9.1b7)
the patch
> > issued on this thread :
> > http://lists.sistina.com/pipermail/linux-lvm/2001-
September/008767.html
> > , but unfortunately, it doesnt work :/. With
this "forced"
> > pvmove, i get an endless read loop :
> >
> > "read:-1 to_read:512
> > read:-1 to_read:512
> > read:-1 to_read:512
> > read:-1 to_read:512"
> > ..... (i let it run for about 4h and the output never
> > changed, nor as the drive never ceased to produce scary
> > noises)
> >
> > 	Now i dont really know if this the proper behavior
of the
> > patched pvmove in case it REALLY doesnt manage to read
the
> > data (i thought this was what the patch was for), or if
> > have a compatibility problem with my 0.9 lvm installed
and
> > the 0.9.1b7 patched pvmove.... I tried (a bit) to
upgrade to
> > 0.9.1b7 but i get dependency conflicts.
>

> Did you run it as root?
> (isn't -1==EPERM, meaning you have no permission?)
>
> The proper output (I think) should be:
> read:-5 to_read:512
> and with 4MB extent-size you should have 8192 such
messages pr bad

http://www.sistina.com/lvm/Pages/howto.html