[linux-lvm] Re: Problem getting snapshots mounted for ext3 & resierfs on 2.4.17-xfs+lvm-1.0.1

Adrian Head ahead at bigpond.net.au
Thu Dec 27 09:03:01 UTC 2001

Well for the seasoned regulars on the list you may already know about this
but as it turned out I didn't.  Therefore, I'm posting this just so that it
may help another LVM newbie.

The problem of the kernel dying when the snapshot overflowed was fixed by
going to kernel 2.4.17-xfs and using the self generating
lvm-1.0.1-2.4.16.patch and the VFS-lock patch.

The other problem of ext3 and resierfs not being able to mount a snapshot was
fixed by changing the following line in "linux/drives/md/lvm.c" from:

/* lvm_do_lv_create calls fsync_dev_lockfs()/unlockfs() */
/* #define LVM_VFS_ENHANCEMENT */

to:

/* lvm_do_lv_create calls fsync_dev_lockfs()/unlockfs() */
#define LVM_VFS_ENHANCEMENT

More info can be found here:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-lvm&m=98276596902838&w=2

Hope this helps.