[linux-lvm] trying to upgrade from mandrake 8.1 to cooker destroyed lvm

SI Reasoning sczjd at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 30 01:33:02 UTC 2001

I have had lvm running on a mandrake 8.1 system.  When
I upgraded it to cooker (pre 8.2) it did not read my
lvm properly (I had /usr, /var and /home pv's in the
"mandrake" vg. Now it still has the lvmconf file
mandrake.conf but nothing in /etc/lvmtab.d and
/etc/lvmtab is a 1 kb file. Since this is a home
system, I have no backups...but it still has info I
would like to keep.

Is there a way to rebuild this? I am pretty new to
lvm.
I am running lvm-0.9-3mdk. I have lvm running on a
fresh install of cooker on my laptop so I know this
version works.

I still have /dev/hda3 showing as a lvm partion (8e)
mandrake had set them up originally as
/dev/mandrake/1
/dev/mandrake/2
/dev/mandrake/3

/etc/fstab
/dev/hda1 / reiserfs notail 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/mandrake/1 /home reiserfs defaults 1 2
/dev/hdg /mnt/cdrom auto
user,iocharset=iso8859-1,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto
0$
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto
user,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,exec,codepage=850,noaut$none
/proc proc defaults 0 0
none /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/mandrake/2 /usr reiserfs defaults 1 2
/dev/mandrake/3 /var reiserfs defaults 1 2
/dev/hda2 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

I had to setup /dev/hda2 as swap to enable the cooker
upgrade since it did not recognize /dev/hda5 during
the install. It still does not recognize /dev/hda5

=====
SI Reasoning
sczjd at yahoo.com

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin