[linux-lvm] lv extend

S. Michael Denton smdenton at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 5 12:37:26 UTC 2001

Speaking as one with extensive experience with LVM on nearly every
major unix vendor, it is not a -problem- but more of a lack of
knowledge on the user/administrator's part.  As I recall, the
documentation clearly notes that a filesystem that resides on an lv
must be extended after extending the lv else the OS will not address
the newly-allocated space.  IMHO it would be a -very- bad idea to
automatically run ext2resize as not everyone uses ext2 on lvm and I
think repeated offers to ask if you want to resize this ext2
filesystem (that perhaps isn't even a filesystem at all) would get
terribly annoying and NT-ish.  Also there's the issue with
reduction... if you reduce an lv, LVM (linux LVM is not different
than the other major unixes either) assumes that you have already
reduced any filesystems, tablespaces, etc that might be using that
space before you do the reduction.  Automatic reduction of a
filesystem can be extraordinarily dangerous.

Perhaps as a compromise it could be a configuration flag in some lvm
config file as to whether or not to automatically/offer to/never
resize filesystems after extension/reduction.

Just a thought...