[linux-lvm] startup stuff an dnew question :-)

Ulf Bartelt ulf at twc.de
Tue Feb 6 07:44:58 UTC 2001

zoo1 at corecomm.net wrote:
> >But the tricky part is: hda2 and hda1 are LVs too...
> >I just faked partition map entries for them and I use them only by this
> >"partition aliases", so I can boot a system living totally in LVs using
> >conventional things like lilo...
>
> erm... just what does this gain you, then? if you resize or move those
> LVs, wouldn't you have to manually change the fake partition map
> entries, sort of negating the entire point of using LVM...?

...I do not want to use an initrd to switch on some service I cannot
switch off properly because no exitrd exists. But that's
philosophical...

...but for now I never needed to resize /boot or /, only the other
LVs...

...and admittedly I never spent a thought on relations between partition
aliases and snapshots... :-(