[linux-lvm] Help! Problems finding VG after reboot.

gobo at gimle.nu gobo at gimle.nu
Tue Feb 6 18:35:05 UTC 2001

Hi all.

I'm running beta3 on a 2.4.0 kernel. I recently had to reboot my computer
due to an error with the network device. When the computer came back up I
couldn't get to the LVM partition any more.

Running vgscan I got the following message:

# vgscan
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- found inactive volume group "widow"
vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): allocated LE of LV" can't get
data of volume group "widow" from physical volume(s)
vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): allocated LE of LV" creating
"/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d"

Running PVscan yielded:

# pvscan
pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hda3"  is associated to an unknown VG (run
vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdb1"  is associated to an unknown VG (run
vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdc1"  is associated to an unknown VG (run
vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdd1"  is associated to an unknown VG (run
vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hde1"  is associated to an unknown VG (run
vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdf1"  is associated to an unknown VG (run
vgscan)
pvscan -- total: 6 [100.96 GB] / in use: 6 [100.96 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0]

After reading through the mailing list I got the impression that the
thing to do to solve my problems would be to run vgcfgrestore on each
partition. So I ran the following command on all 6 partitions:
# vgcfgrestore -n widow /dev/hdf1
vgcfgrestore -- VGDA for "widow" successfully restored to physical volume
"/dev/hdf1"

Now when I run vgscan I get:
# vgscan
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- no volume groups found

and pvscan yields the exact same result as above.

If anyone have an idea on how I can get my filesystem back I'd very much
appreciate it.

Frank Ronny Larsen
--
"I'll carry your books, I'll carry a tune, I'll carry on, carry over,
carry forward, Cary Grant, cash & carry, Carry Me Back To Old