[linux-lvm] LVM don't work anymore (wrong version?)

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Fri Feb 16 17:11:33 UTC 2001

Jean-Eric writes:
> > Try running 'pvdata -U' on each of the PV's, and see if there are empty
> > UUID slots on some of them.  This is a bug with the old LVM tools.  If
>
> I have 13 slots and the 13th is EMPTY. Is that what you mean?

Yes.  This was a bug in the old (0.9.1beta2?) LVM user tools.  The problem is
that this data was written to disk incorrectly, and now vgscan doesn't work.

> > this is true, you can try to comment out the section in
> > pv_read_all_pv_of_vg which verifies the UUIDs (starts like
> > "if (uuids) {"), and try vgscan again.
>
> I did it and vgscan output nothing about Volume Groups!
> Output of debug vgscan is attached.

I don't see any attachment.  I was looking at the pv_read_all_pv_of_vg()
code, and the section actually starts "if (uuids > 0) {", so you can
replace this with "if (0) {" and the UUID checking will be skipped.
This _should_ fix your problem, but it is possible there is also another
problem as well.

> Here is the output of a vgchange:
> [root at fatboy 0.9.1_beta4]# echo -ne "NOTSURE_HDX\0" > /etc/lvmtab
> [root at fatboy 0.9.1_beta4]# vgchange -ay
> vgchange -- ERROR: physical volume "/dev/hdc9" of volume group "NOTSURE_HDX"
> is inconsistent
> vgchange -- run vgscan
>
> FYI, I have hda1, hda5->hda10 + hdc1, hdc5->hdc10 in the VG NOTSURE_HDX.
> hdc9 seems broken, but why? And how to restore?

You can try restoring your VGDA with "vgcfgrestore /dev/hdc9".  You may
have to restore the VGDA on all of the disks at the same time, I'm not
sure.  The good news is that if you do a vgcfgrestore with the new (beta4)
tools it will also fix the UUID problem above.

Cheers, Andreas

PS - it is strange that you have multiple partitions on the same disk as
     separate PVs.  It is the most efficient (space wise) to only make a
     single large PV on each disk.