[linux-lvm] Boot with LVM on RAID1 on entire disk

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue Feb 27 17:52:21 UTC 2001

On Tuesday 27 February 2001 03:07, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> One thing that probably _doesn't_ work is /boot on LVM on MD, just because
> I haven't had a need to do so.  Unless you have unusual requirements,
> you can leave /boot as a partition if you like, or you can fix LILO
> based on the patch I sent.

I suggest the following:
/dev/hda1 - 20M /boot
/dev/hda2 - rest of the disk

Same partitioning for /dev/hdc .

Then make /dev/hda2 and /dev/hdc2 a software RAID mirror which has LVM on top
(thus leaving the MBR nice and free).

Install the Debian MBR (I'm sure it's available under other names for other
distributions) on both /dev/hda and /dev/hdc.  It'll load a LILO boot block
from an active partition on the same drive by default.
Make /dev/hda1 and /dev/hdc1 active using fdisk or the LILO "activate"
program.
Then after running "lilo" do "cat /dev/hda1 > /dev/hdc1".  At this stage if
/dev/hda fails then swapping /dev/hdc to /dev/hda should result in a bootable
system!

I have CC'd John Coffman (current Lilo developer) on this email as I think
it'll interest him.  Please remove his name from the CC list if you are going
to make a non-LILO posting.