[linux-lvm] Once again ... Kernel 2.4.0 - What can I do ?

Jan Niehusmann list039 at gondor.com
Mon Jan 8 23:52:28 UTC 2001

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 09:40:55PM -0200, Claudio Matsuoka wrote:
> >   can I convert the volume to 0.9 without data-loss ???
>
> The on-disk data structures are compatible, you only need a set of
> userspace tools with the same IOP as the kernel.

Well, sort of. When I actually tried it out, I got an error message
from LVM 0.8.1's vgscan:

vgscan -- ERROR "lvm_remouverecursive(): opendir" removing volume group director
y and special files
vgscan -- ERROR "lvm_remouverecursive(): opendir" creating "/etc/lvmtab" and "/e
tc/lvmtab.d"

vgscan -d showed me an interesting thing:

<4444> vg_check_name -- vg_name: "5HozPsvN3ueT3iLNQpeAE08HISKPy1O7"

First I thought that bogous vg_name may be caused by data corruption, until
I noticed that the string above is 0.9's uuid of that VG.

I didn't try to fix the bug as 0.9 is fine for me.

The above happend with some random -testxx-preyy kernel, so it may be
caused by something completely different. I'm just not as sure as I was
before that going back from 0.9 to 0.8 is possibly without any problems.

Jan