[linux-lvm] hard drive shock tolerance

zoo1 at corecomm.net zoo1 at corecomm.net
Thu Jan 11 00:54:40 UTC 2001

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 01:39:13AM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:

[...]
>My "gut feeling" is that drives are more susceptible to damage now.  I know
>of cases of older 3600rpm drives being dropped, being hit by a car while
>operating (car entered building through the wall of the computer room), and
>suffering numerous other mechanically damaging events without data loss.  I
>belive that modern 10K rpm drives are not as solid.

speaking as someone who has personally dropped (and destroyed) 36GB 10K
rpm SSA disk drives, i can attest that modern-day disks are sensitive.
those disks i mentioned fell about 20-30cm onto concrete, and were
toast.

(in all fairness, other identical drives that fell right with them
survived, so that shock must have been just on the boundary. i ended up
avoiding the blame, due to the unreasonable and careless way the disks
had been packaged and shipped - which was lucky for me, genuine IBM
disks of this type cost around $1600 USD apiece...)

hit by a car? you're serious? i can't even imagine a modern disk
surviving that! i've seen 9GB SCSI disks destroyed by an approximately
60cm drop onto wooden benchtop, covered with a (thin) antistatic rubber
mat; that wasn't me dropping those, though - about $800 apiece, IIRC...

>Also drives are more susceptible to heat problems.  3600rpm drives
>could operate with all their air-holes blocked and while surrounded by
>other hard drives without problems.  You can't stack two new 10K rpm
>drives without good fans.

i'll take your word for it. myself, i never see drives like that in
PCs, just in workstations and RAID arrays with more than adequate
cooling; but then again, i don't see PCs much these days anymore.

--
   PGP/GnuPG key (ID 1024D/BFE0D6D0) available from keyservers everywhere

       "Everything I am today, I owe to people whom it is now too late
                                   to punish."