[linux-lvm] [lvm 0.8 final] lvmcreate_initrd fails for me

Chris Worley cworley at liberate.com
Fri Jan 12 22:10:31 UTC 2001

Les,

I remember a similar problem from a different initrd: with such a
small file system, there aren't enough inodes created to hold a large
number of small files.  For example, "/dev/*" files don't require much
actual file system space, but a disproportionate number of file
pointers are required.  I believe this is controlled by reducing the
bytes/inode setting in mke2fs (but I forget).

My lvmcreate_initrd says: "mke2fs -m0 -i 1024 $DEVRAM $INITRDSIZE"

The way to test this is to execute each of the commands in
lvmcreate_initrd manually: when the error occurs, return to the point
where "mke2fs" is run using a different value for "-i".  You should at
least see the error messages start on different files for each iteration.

Note that a lot of the commands used in lvmcreate_initrd pipe their
error output to /dev/null.  Don't do this during testing.

Also, are you sure your ramdisk size is 8MB?  The default is 4MB: it
needs to be set on the lilo command line or when configuring the
current kernel.  I think this is a mistake... since the initrd is not
necessarily being built on the same system where it's going to be
used, ramdisks should be avoided (since it may require rebooting if
you're not already setup for 8MB ramdisks), using a loopback
filesystem would be easier (if it's not currently part of the kernel,
then the module can be loaded -- no reason to reboot).

Hope that helps,

Chris