[linux-lvm] LVM 0.9.1beta1 vgscan segfault when run with -d

Charles Duffy cduffy at mvista.com
Sat Jan 13 06:36:00 UTC 2001

Howdy. I'm experiencing some difficulties while transitioning from LVM
0.8i to 0.9.

vgscan reports:

vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): allocated LE of LV": can't
get data of volume group "vg01" from physical volume(s)

When I try to recieve more info (by running vgscan with "-D"), I
recieve a segfault.

This appears to be happening inside pv_read_uuidlist, at the memset on
line 91 (I added some extra debug() calls to determine this). The
attached log (from the original, unpatched version) should help by
giving some context.

Frankly, I don't know why this is happening -- more than sufficient
space appears to be allocated beforehand -- but, as long as one rules
out a bug in debug(), I don't see any other way 'round it.

Thanks for your help.