[linux-lvm] hard-lock seems to have caused serious LVM problems

dmeyer at dmeyer.net dmeyer at dmeyer.net
Mon Jan 15 20:33:59 UTC 2001

In article <20010115172200.A31217 at srv.t-online.de> you write:
> On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 11:03:58AM -0500, dmeyer at dmeyer.net wrote:
> > Interestingly enough, something seems to have fixed my PVs in the
> > meantime - now they all have every UUID.  Either activating the VG or
> > running vgck must have done it.
>
> No, it doesn't happen while activating VGs or checking them.
>
> The following tools call vg_write_with_pv_and_lv() in the library
> which in turn calls pv_write_uuidlist() to do the UUID list update:

Maybe it was calling vgscan on the messed up VG once I managed to get
it online did it, then.  I didn't call any of the others.

> You must have run one of those tools in order to update the UUID list.
> It is still rather interesting what caused the mess you reported in the first
> place.

I wonder if it wasn't somehow related to calling vgscan -d and getting
seg faults in the middle of it.  Or, more likely, running vgscan in
the debugger trying to extract more information about what was going
on.

In any case, I hope fervantly never to have the opportunity to find
out again :-).

--
David M. Meyer
dmeyer at dmeyer.net