[linux-lvm] Keeping swap in the middle of the disk

Jos Visser josv at osp.nl
Fri Jan 26 19:51:59 UTC 2001

And thus it came to pass that Chris Wilson wrote:
(on Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 07:57:13PM +0000 to be exact)

> On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Jos Visser wrote:
>
> > Hi Chris,
> >
> > The setup you describe will work. Use pvcreate to make hda2, hda4, hdc2
> > and hdc2 into physical volumes, and group them into one volume group
> > (using vgcreate/vgextend as appropriate). Then create one big logical
> > volume in that vg.
>
> If I do this then surely it either ends up striping across all four
> partitions (so each disk would be continually seeking from one partition
> to another) or not do any striping at all?

When you put multiple PV's in a VG, it does not stripe, but it
concatenates. Depending on the locality characteristics of the file
system you are using, processing a single file usually hits one PV only,
*unless* you explicitly stripe the LV, in which case it indeed *does*
stripe across all four PV's. The setup you describe which first combines
two partitions into a concatenated metadevice, and then combine these
two as PV's in a VG would be the better approach.

On the other hand, why not create two gigantic 46GB PV's, and create
swap logical volumes as well as a ReiserFS lvol?

++Jos

--
What's real, is worth it...