[linux-lvm] [CVS LVM Mon Jan 29 16:18:57 EST 2001] Device /dev/hdc1 doesn't exist

David Parrish dparrish at excido.com
Mon Jan 29 05:59:21 UTC 2001

On Sun, 28 Jan 2001 lewis at sistina.com wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 04:25:43PM +1100, David Parrish wrote:
> > I'm trying to get LVM going for the first, time.. I'm getting a few
> > errors, I've looked through the FAQs and can't find anything about these.
> >
> > If this is a really stupid commonly found problem and it's just a stupid
> > luser doing it, please point me in the appropriate manual, otherwise,
> > any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > LVM CVS checked out today Mon Jan 29 16:18:57 EST 2001
>
> Looks to me like you didn't check out the CVS with the LVM_0-9-patches tag.
> Use 'cvs co -r LVM_0-9-patches LVM' and see if it does the same thing.  This
> is documented on the CVS checkout instructions page at
> http://www.sistina.com/Pages/cvs.html
> If you didn't specify the tag you got a combination of Cluster LVM and the
> old 0.9 stuff...which is pretty broken at this time.
>
> Regards,

You're right! I didn't include that tag. However, I still get the same
messages when I checkout and recompile with that tag.

I forgot to include this in my script, don't know if it helps.
By the way, I'm using devfs, which I am assuming is causing my problems?

[root at mordor LVM]# pvscan
pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
pvscan -- ERROR "pv_read(): PV identifier invalid" reading physical volumes

--
David Parrish
Brainbench MVP for Linux

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
                -- Woody Allen