[linux-lvm] Parted not making partitions

Martin Pool mbp at valinux.com
Tue Jul 3 13:04:25 UTC 2001

On  3 Jul 2001, RAGHVENDRA SHUKLA <rshukla at prl.ernet.in> wrote:

> Hello ,
>        My lINUX RED HAT 7.1 HAS THE disk partitions ( as given by parted
> -print ) are as follows :
>
>     1 	0.031	23.532		ext2	boot
>     2	23.533	28623.625	extended
>     5   23.563	1357.053	logical	ext2
>     6 	28027.494	28529.494	logical	linux-swap
>

>     Now i know that there is space between the 1357.053 - 28027.494 ,
> ( as i have reduced this partition by myself and this is root )
> whenever i give the command --> mkpart primary ext2 1357.054 28027.493
> then it says that the partition overlaps . This is not clear to me .

The problem is that the space you refer to is within extended
partition 2 and therefore cannot be allocated to a primary partition.
You can, however, use this space for a new logical partition.

If this remains unclear, you should search for a good explanation of
the crippled PC partitioning scheme.

--
Martin
VA Linux Systems