[linux-lvm] Just installed LVM on deb - got module errors

Klaus Agnoletti ultra at mailme.dk
Tue Jul 10 20:07:55 UTC 2001

Hi,

I just installed lvm 0.9.1 beta 7 from .deb archives via apt-get
For some reason I get the following error when trying to prepare a LVM
partition :

vault:/etc/modutils# pvcreate /dev/hdb1
pvcreate -- LVM driver/module not loaded?

Clearly it is missing a kernel module.

trying to modprobe lvm-mod gives the following error :

vault:/etc/modutils# modprobe lvm-mod
modprobe: Can't locate module lvm-mod

I assume the following messages in /var/log/syslog is related :

Jul 10 22:00:02 vault modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-109
Jul 10 22:00:02 vault modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-109

So I guess that this really is what it needs. Am I right ? - how do I get
this then ?

If I am totally off the track, please help me back =)

Thanks in advance

Klaus Agnoletti