[linux-lvm] Newbie question

Leandro Lucarella luca at lucarella.com.ar
Fri Jul 13 15:33:31 UTC 2001

El Fri, 13 Jul 2001 13:12:00 +0200 Heinz J. Mauelshagen <Mauelshagen at sistina.com> escribió:

HJM> On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 11:53:58AM -0300, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
HJM> > Hi, I'm new in LVM (I'm so new that I'm not even using it :) and I have a
HJM> > question:
HJM> >
HJM> > I want to know if the stiper mode, the performance gain is somparable to Software
HJM> > RAID 0.
HJM>
HJM> In theory they should be pretty similar :-)
HJM>
HJM> But people reported differences which are probably caused by their particular
HJM> hardware setup.
HJM>
HJM> In order to answer the question for your particular configuration, you should
HJM> test both ;-)

Fair enought for me! LVM has some good advanges so if the performance is
comparable, I'm with LVM! ;)
Now I have a question. I read the HOWTO migrate the old root partition to a
LV, and the method is to make a LV on another HD (or the same if it's
room), copy the root FS to this LV, delete the old partition and add it to
the new LV. My question is. It's possible to make a VG without striping
('cause I have just 1 HD in the begining) and then, when I add the old
partition to the VG, make this VG to do striping????
(I'm really sory about my primitive english... ;)

HJM> > Another question is the boot stuff, what is better? compile LVM as a module
HJM> > and use inird or compile the kernel with built-in LVM support?
HJM>
HJM> It doesn't make a difference if you go for the module or the build in driver,
HJM> you need to have an initrd today anyway to activate your VGs at boot time.
HJM>
HJM> We are working on boot time recognition of VGs in the driver which will vanish
HJM> the initrd. That will be in a post 1.0 version of the Linux LVM.

OK, initrd is allways needed until 1.0...
And how close we are to this release??? ;)

--
LUCA - Leandro Lucarella
luca at lucarella.com.ar
http://www.luca.2y.net