[linux-lvm] Newbie question

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Mon Jul 16 15:08:02 UTC 2001

>> Now I have a question. I read the HOWTO migrate the old root partition to a
>> LV

Think really, really hard before trying this.  Linux on an X86 doesn't have
an LVM aware bios and you cannot boot w/o LVM (e.g., HP's "-lm").  This
means that if you have any error at all in LVM you cannot boot.

A safer approach -- especially if you havn't used LVM before -- is to use
the first 2-3 partitions for /, swap and /var.  This allows you to boot even if
LVM is down and fix most LVM problems.  None of these partitions needs
to be large (e.g., 80, 64 & 320MB) and the remaining partition can be used
as a PV.

sl