[linux-lvm] success!

Ed Tomlinson tomlins at cam.org
Thu Jul 26 12:32:14 UTC 2001

On July 26, 2001 07:23 am, James Pattinson wrote:
> I've just upgraded my LVM-on-root system from beta7 to beta8 succesfuly. I
> only had two problems:
>
> 1.	The lvmcreate_initrd script failed when it tried to mount the
> image in /tmp as a loopback device. The error was ioctl: LOOP_SET_FD:
> Invalid argument. I believe this is due to my /tmp filesystem being tmpfs
> and could be a kernel bug. It worked OK when I used /root instead of /tmp.

I reported this to the tmpfs maintainer a while back.  Turns out that supporting
loop mounts on tmpfs is not easy.  From the messages exchanged between the Linus
and the maintainer I sort of doubt a fix will be forthcoming soon.

Would it be possible to check for a tmpfs on /tmp and change

DEVRAM=/tmp/initrd.$$
DEVRAM=/var/initrd.$$

when encountered?

TIA,