[linux-lvm] Nasty bug in lvm and/or md and/or reiserfs

Jason Tackaberry tack at linux.com
Thu Jul 26 21:44:35 UTC 2001

> This was a stupid thing to do; and yes we should probably check to see

Indeed.  I didn't realize the partition was still mounted (I had left
the system and come back to it some time later).  Of course it should
fail, but not that bad. :)

> pvcreate would have stamped it's own metadata over md's metadata, so
> I'm not surprised md had trouble.  This is not a bug in md or
> reiserfs, just user error that LVM should have caught.

With respect to the problem I had with /etc/mtab: the root partition is
not handled by LVM at all.  It is strictly a md device.  I assume
/etc/mtab got hosed when umount segfaulted (because of the ReiserFS
bug).  But the root partition (and /etc on the root partition) is
md/raid1 with ext2.  This seems to me to be a real md bug.  What do you
think?

Thanks,
Jason.