[linux-lvm] Nasty bug in lvm and/or md and/or reiserfs

Werner John john at oswf.de
Mon Jul 30 07:46:16 UTC 2001

Jason Tackaberry writes:
> [...]
>
> I guess you mean software RAID using md?

yes.

> > for more than 140 days on one of our machines. No problems so far, although
> > it is still 0.9.1-beta5 and a "rather old" kernel ;-). Maybe it is time to
> > upgrade this one, too.
>
> I guess this is the concern: md clearly works when all is going well,
> but when somethings goes awry (like, for example, in my case where a
> kernel bug in reiserfs caused umount to segfault while it had a lock on
> /etc/mtab), is it robust enough?

don't mix md with the file system. The FS doesn't care about anything that
goes on below its level. You could have an ext2 on a ramdisk, or you could
have an ext2 on a SW RAID-0 on top of a ramdisk and a floppy drive.

> Are there others on this list who can share their md/lvm experiences use
> with me?

I have "tested" the SW RAID and LVM by simply pulling the plug while
writing a 500MB file to my disks. Well, I know, this should not be called a
real test, I consider it a brute force attack ;-) Just one time, the FS was
damaged so badly that I could not repair it.

Regards,

Werner