[linux-lvm] rw-snapshot as an addition for lvm

Jos Visser josv at osp.nl
Mon Jul 30 09:28:18 UTC 2001

The question I would have is whether rw-snapshots (or, snapshots in
general), should be implemented in LVM or as a separate driver/layer. In
that case, a snapshot could be taken of any block device, not only of a
logical volume.

Another interesting feature that I might add that would be handy here is
the "dynamic LV". This would be a LV that can extend dynamically if so
requested. The advantage of this would be that you could use the dynamic
LV as the buffer space of a snapshot. If the snapshot requires more
space, the LV could extend dynamically to allow for this....

++Jos

And thus it came to pass that Joe Thornber wrote:
(on Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 10:57:26AM +0100 to be exact)

> On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 06:27:41PM +0200, Anders Henke wrote:
> > I think it's also quite interesting to have a rw-snapshot in which changes
> > of both real and snapshot are being written to a smaller bufferspace on disk:
> > the snapshot always represents the state of the LV when taking the snapshot,
> > but permits changes on 'its copy'.
>
> See other thread in the last few days on rw snapshots;  Yes, it's an
> execellent idea.
>
> - Joe

Im verzeihen des Unverzeihlichen ist der Mensch der gottlichen Liebe am nächtsten.