[linux-lvm] Changing partition names? [vgscan not seeting PV]

Donald Gordon donald at gordon.co.nz
Mon Jul 30 22:06:26 UTC 2001

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Donald Gordon wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, AJ Lewis wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 11:48:56PM +1200, Donald Gordon wrote:
> > > I can't seem to see any way to tell lvm that the name of one of the
> > > partitions it is using has changed (from /dev/sda10 to /dev/sda8; I'm
> > > transitioning a system to LVM).  Should it pick this up on reboot or is
> > > there some config file I need to prod?
> >
> > vgscan will do this for you automatically.
> >

> When I (ahem) remove a partition by mistake and re-create it in the same
> location with fdisk vgscan no longer recognises it.

I can't see anything particularily odd about this partition BTW; I'm not
sure what a LVM superblock is supposed to look like but what's there
*seems* to be likely to be something.  Is the partition table supposed to
have some sort of flag in it (apart from the type=0x8e) saying "I'm an LVM
PV" or is it likely the data (my /usr and /home :( ) in the PV is gone
forever?

If it makes sense to anyone, the first 4kb (and 512kb is in the same
directory) of that partition is at http://fias.co.nz/lvm/sda6-4k

BTW: I'm running LVM 9.1_beta2 (I *think*; whatever came with kernel
2.4.7, anyway).

Thanks

don

--
Donald Gordon | Wellington, New Zealand | All opinions above are those of my
donald at gordon.co.nz | icq 14995769 | um | deceased pet goldfish, "Fishy II".