[linux-lvm] LILO configuration for LVM "boot" filesystem

Jack McKinney jackmc-linux-lvm at lorentz.com
Thu Jun 7 16:32:07 UTC 2001

Big Brother tells me that Jens Benecke wrote:
> >     After installation, do:
> > cd / ; mv tmp tmp.old ; ln -s /var/tmp .  reboot rm -rf /tmp.old
> >     Now you don't have to worry about root filling up at all...
>
> er... I wouldn't do that (at least not on a Debian system).
>
> Usually /var/tmp is _assumed_ to be only root-writeable, so all sorts of
> daemons and programs running as root put their stuff there. This could open
> a number of security holes, when /var/tmp doesn't get treated as carefully
> as /tmp.

    Hmmm... I run Debian, and /var/tmp is certainly world-writable:

drwxrwxrwt    7 root     root         2048 Jun  7 07:56 /var/tmp

    It has been this way on every Debian system I have installed...

--
Whoever put the '.' next to the '/'       Jack McKinney
on a keyboard obviously never used        jackmc at lorentz.com
the -R option to /bin/chown               http://www.lorentz.com
1024D/D68F2C07 4096g/38AEF076