[linux-lvm] LILO configuration for LVM "boot" filesystem

Mario 'BitKoenig' Holbe Mario.Holbe at rz.tu-ilmenau.de
Thu Jun 7 16:39:58 UTC 2001

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 06:26:36PM +0200, Jens Benecke wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 10:43:02AM -0500, Jack McKinney wrote:
> > Big Brother tells me that Steven Lembark wrote:
> > > Use separate mount points for /var, /usr & /home.  This keeps root down
> > cd / ; mv tmp tmp.old ; ln -s /var/tmp .  reboot rm -rf /tmp.old

Windows user, eh? :)

> er... I wouldn't do that (at least not on a Debian system).
> Usually /var/tmp is _assumed_ to be only root-writeable, so all sorts of

At least on a Debian system, /var/tmp is 1777 - just like /tmp.

But this 'solution' can cause some other problems in the boot
stage - /var isn't mounted there already, but maybe something
tries to write tmp files.

So - better create a /tmp filesystem as well - this doesnt harm,
because the /tmp mount point is a directory where processes can
write to, even when there's nothing mounted on.

regards,
--
Mario 'BitKoenig' Holbe <Mario.Holbe at RZ.TU-Ilmenau.DE>

So long and thanks for all the books.