[linux-lvm] LILO configuration for LVM "boot" filesystem

Steve Wray steve.wray at the.net.nz
Thu Jun 7 22:24:53 UTC 2001

> From: linux-lvm-admin at sistina.com [mailto:linux-lvm-admin at sistina.com]On
> Behalf Of Jack McKinney
>
> Big Brother tells me that Steve Wray wrote:
> > >
> > > LV are generally slower than other types of storage.  Since the
> > > boot partition is generally cyl 0 it's on the fastest storage
> > > available (short of tmpfs).
> >
> > Proportionally, how much slower is it? 50%? 25%? 12%?
> > less than 1% slower?

[snip]

>     In other words, every block read that goes through LVM adds basically
> a division, a memory lookup and an addition.  The time it takes
> to transfer
> the block from the drive is EONs compared to the time it takes to perform
> a couple of arithmetical computations.

Unless the machine in question is an i386 with no math copro?
8-)

Sounds good to me; I was surprised someone raised a speed issue
for /tmp on a LV.
Are there any other (good) reasons to have /tmp (or anything else other
than /boot) on a 'real' partition rather than on LV?

How about swap on LV? Or does swap need to be used before the LV's
are accessible?