[linux-lvm] LILO configuration for LVM "boot" filesystem

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Mon Jun 11 00:10:03 UTC 2001

>> > Another thing to consider if you run 2.4 kernel -- mount tmpfs on /tmp
>> > (and give some reasonable size restrictions).   This way, /tmp works
>> > much faster, does not need to be cleaned on boot, and will not eat
>> > root's space.  You should have reasonable swap space it you plan to
>> > use it heavily.  Works very well here.
>>
>> tmpfs? I thought that existed only on Solaris, and the primary reason for
>> tmpfs is that Solaris's UFS is so ssllooww compared to other FS (e.g.
>> ext2, reiser, etc.)
>
> It's in Linux 2.4 also.  It has the same unfortunate problem as on
> Solaris, that once someone fills /tmp, you run out swap and daemons start
> dying.

Main reason for it on Solaris is systems w/ Large core (4GB+) who  (a) never
ever swap or noticably trim proc's and (b) got annoyed at wasiting 10+GB on
Sun's 2xcore rule for swapspace.  If you have  a4GB system w/ 8GB of
[unused]
swap the odds of filling up /tmp are rather small.  If you have a 128MB
system
with 10-20MB of swap in use it's a whole lot more likely.

 As always:  YMMV :-)