[linux-lvm] LILO configuration for LVM "boot" filesystem

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Jun 11 11:39:00 UTC 2001

On Monday 11 June 2001 02:20, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> About tmpfs and a "real" filesystems.  No, ufs isn't so slow on
> solaris, it is comparable with ext2, and faster sometimes (and slow
> other times), it is hard to say which is better (I prefer ufs on

Last time I attempted to do a fair comparison I compared an Ultra
Enterprise 2 with two UltraSPARC CPUs of ~200MHz speed, 256M of RAM, and
a 9G SCSI hard drive with a Thinkpad 380XD with a 233MHz PentiumMMX, 96M
of RAM and a 3.2G Toshiba IDE drive.

Ext2 on the Thinkpad beat UFS on the Sun in most tests.  ReiserFS on the
Thinkpad beat tmpfs on the Sun for creating large numbers of files (tmpfs
does not index directories).

This is off-topic.  Maybe we should migrate to the ReiserFS list where
comparing FS performance is a topical matter?