[linux-lvm] Logical Volume Manager 0.9.1_beta7

Julian Parker jpar at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jun 21 21:07:09 UTC 2001

Apologies for mailing out of the blue but I'm not sure how to go about
this.

I'm using the LVM software, very nice it is too :-) but I'm having a
couple of issues and I was wondering if they were bugs or if I was
using the software incorrectly. If there is another person I should be
reporting this to, please let me know

1/ pvcreate cannot use whole disks as referred to in the man pages.
pvcreate /dev/hde reports that the partition table exists, this was
removed using the dd command; dd if/dev/zero of/dev/hde bs=512k
count=1
I can't change the partition table to have 8e because there is not one
there so I got round it by createing one single partition for the
whole disk and modifying that partition to use Linux LVM. see below.

# fdisk -l /dev/hde

Disk /dev/hde: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 38792 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hde1             1     38792  19551136+  8e  Linux LVM

This is the same with different type of disk, I only tested with IDE
disks if that actually makes a difference.

2/ I have modified a logical volume to be read only and deactivated it
but when using lvchange to reactivate, it won't work.

# lvdisplay /dev/vgdata/oracle
- --- Logical volume ---
LV Name                /dev/vgdata/oracle
VG Name                vgdata
LV Write Access        read only
LV Status              NOT available
LV #                   4
# open                 0
LV Size                1 GB
Current LE             256
Allocated LE           256
Allocation             next free
Read ahead sectors     120
Block device           58:4

# lvchange -v -a y /dev/vgdata/oracle
lvchange -- locking logical volume manager
lvchange -- checking logical volume name
lvchange -- checking volume group existence
lvchange -- checking for active volume group "vgdata"
lvchange -- reading volume group data of "vgdata" from disk(s)
lvchange -- checking consistency of "vgdata"
lvchange -- checking logical volume "/dev/vgdata/oracle" existence
lvchange -- getting index of logical volume "/dev/vgdata/oracle" in
volume group "vgdata"
lvchange -- getting status of "/dev/vgdata/oracle" from VGDA in kernel
lvchange -- changing logical volume "/dev/vgdata/oracle" in VGDA of
kernel
lvchange -- ERROR "Operation not permitted" couldn't open logical
volume "/dev/vgdata/oracle"

Kind Regards,

Jules

- -----
Good judgement comes from experience,
And often experience comes from bad judgement.