[linux-lvm] HowTo: EIDE/ATA-100 + RAID 1 + LVM

Emmanuel Blot emmanuel.blot at ireland.sun.com
Thu Jun 28 17:06:25 UTC 2001

Hi,

I don't know much about RAID and LVM.

I have to set up a server, and I'd like to know if it's possible -and reliable- to setup a server
with RAID 1 (mirrored disk) with a pure software solution (not RAID controller) and LVM

* disks: two 40 GB IBM 60GXP (ATA-100).
* motherboard: Asus with AMD760 + DDR (Athlon Thunderbird)
* distribution: SuSE 7.2, with Linux kernel 2.4.4

- Are there some known issues/bugs with this configuration ?
- Where can I start (documentation URL I should know, ...)
- What is the installation order to follow (between software installation, RAID setup, LVM setup, ...)
- Any other suggestion

As the server has to be mostly remote-administrated (from other countries...), reliability is a key.
Is LVM stable enough with RAID-1 and Linux 2.4.x ?

Thanks in advance,
Emmanuel.