[linux-lvm] LVM 0.9.1 Beta6 RPMS

Eric M. Hopper hopper at omnifarious.mn.org
Fri Mar 16 20:04:49 UTC 2001

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 12:44:05PM -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> Eric Hopper writes:
> > On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 12:44:46PM -0600, AJ Lewis wrote:
> > > LVM 0.9.1 Beta6 RPMS are up on the Sistina FTP site:
> > > ftp://ftp.sistina.com/pub/LVM/0.9.1_beta/binaries/redhat
> >
> > 	Would you consider releasing kernel patches against the 2.4.x
> > series kernels?
> >
> > 	I want to upgrade to 2.4.x someday soon.  I currently use LVM on
> > my system, but my confusion over exactly what patches I need to apply
> > prevents me from upgrading to 2.4.x.
>
> Actually, the LVM CVS (and I assume tarball as well) is fairly well
> set up to handle this.  Since it is a lot of work to maintain patches
> against every kernel (consider each pre, ac kernel also).  They rather
> ship the whole lvm*.[ch].  If you are compiling as a module, you shuld
> be able to compile directly in LVM/kernel (pending a patch that was
> posted today).

	OK.  That makes sense.  Trying to decide if that's a good way to
do it or not.  I guess its easier for brand new users, and so that's a
good thing.  I'm expecting different because of how reiserfs does things
and previous experience with LVM.  :-)

> Generally, the current LVM kernel code will work properly with the
> current tools.  On occasion, the current tools will not work with an
> older kernel (or vice versa).  It is my opinion that we should treat
> that as a bug to be fixed, until such a time we really need to
> increase the IOP version, at which point the kernel/tools will refuse
> to work with older code.

	It seems to me like newer versions of the tools should work with
older kernel code up to a certain number of versions back.

Thanks,
--
The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they
be properly armed.  -- Alexander Hamilton