[linux-lvm] Getting LVM to startup on RedHat

Alec Smith alec at shadowstar.net
Sun Mar 18 08:22:35 UTC 2001

Where are the LVM patches for 2.2.18? Or, will I have to run 0.9.1beta6 for
this? As the server I'm working with is half a continent away and will cost
me $100/hr for local administration, I'd like to stick with well-tested and
stable versions of kernel patches.

Personally I prefer Debian over RedHat because of the init script setup.
Other than RedHat, my only other options were FreeBSD or WinNT. I've never
quite understood FreeBSD (limited tinkering time on a test box) and refuse
to touch NT with a 10' pole as a server.

To get LVM working, I ended up specifying noauto in the fstab. vgscan and
vgchange -ay don't seem to work when placed before mounting of filesystems
as directed in the HowTO, but will work if placed at the end of rc.sysinit.
On the downside, I had to hardcode the mount of the LVM filesystem.

Alec