[linux-lvm] Recovering PV's VG metadata

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Tue Mar 20 10:40:56 UTC 2001

"Hopnet" writes:
> Thanks to Heinz & Andreas for your suggestions.  They are "almost" working.
> :-)  I can activate the VG, but I'm getting "wrong major or minor number"
> from the mount of the lvol, so I'm thinking I have an offset that is not
> correct.

Is this a user message, or a kernel message?  Could you please give the
exact message, so I can find where it is coming from?

> hda showed: (after LILO, which was indeed the problem)
> PV Size               12.14 GB / NOT usable 3.21 MB [LVM: 16.09 MB]
> hdc showed:
> PV Size               12.14 GB / NOT usable 3.24 MB [LVM: 242 KB]
>
> After I copied the header over, they are the same (as hdc).  Should they
> be the same?  Or do I need to fudge some more numbers in the hda header.

Yes, for the same disks, the PV info should be the same.

> Andreas, this appears to be a v1 header, so no uuid.  This confused the
> heck out of me for a while, until I finally deciphered part of lvm.h.
> Also, pvdata doesn't support -PU on this release.

Yes, I only noticed this after Heinz's post.

> If I can't get the offset fixed, I'll probably try creating the
> "lvrecover" that Andreas suggested.

I would avoid that, since it appears we are almost working.

Cheers, Andreas