[linux-lvm] LVM and fault tolerance

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at larsshack.org
Wed Mar 21 17:33:51 UTC 2001

> Is there any possibility to add fault tolerance to LVM. I would like
> to span several disks (of different sizes) and have fault tolerance to
> it. Also, most important, is to be able to extend it with additional
> disks without loosing data.

Disclaimer: I've only recently started working with LVM under Linux.

That said, I think that the general solution to fault tolerance is to
combine LVM with either (a) the software RAID (md) subsystem, or (b)
hardware RAID devices.

For example, you can create a number of md devices, using RAID1 or RAID5
for fault tolerance, and then run pvcreate on them and manage them with
lvm.

I'm doing this right now with a 4-disk RAID5 array (3 disks + 1 hot
spare), and it seems to be working just fine.

-- Lars

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at larsshack.org>