[linux-lvm] Can I use snapshots for this?

Jos Visser josv at osp.nl
Tue Mar 27 14:56:30 UTC 2001

Hi Goetz,

You can indeed use snapshots for this. Basically what you need to do is
create a snapshot each night at 4:00 of your /whatever lvol (e.g.
/home). Then mount that snapshot as /nightly. Through that mountpointm
your users will see the status of the /whatever file system (including
file presence and contents) as it was when the snapshot was created!
Because the snapshot feature saves only the updates content from the
original logical volume, you need allocate only a fraction of the space
of the original lvol to the snapshot. It depends on the update rate, but
typically only 10%.

++Jos

P.S. Don't forget to umount and remove the old snapshot in your nightly
     procedures...

(on Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 04:37:01PM +0200 to be exact)

--
assert(heaven.isMissing(anAngel));