[linux-lvm] lvmgui 0.2 release

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Wed Mar 28 13:34:58 UTC 2001

> > Tcl/Tk has got to be the ickiest language I've ever had the
> > displeasure of writing a program in this side of BASIC. It combines
> > the obtuseness of lisp with the execution speed of Javascript.
>
>   what? ick. Common Lisp is _very_ nice to work with thank you. that
>   Tcl is the ultimate masochist language even beyond befunge on the
>   other hand is true.
>
> > Might I humbly suggest Python. :-) Python is much cleaner than
> > Tcl/Tk.
>
>   python is fair enough.

except that it doesn't gracefully handle most o/s issues.  it's
especially painful to inline C (if necessary).

> > You can even use Tcl/Tk from Python without having to write any Tcl
> > code. Or, you could use PyGTK or PyGNOME and have a nicer looking
> > interface. :-) It's also nearly as fast to develop in as Tcl/TK. It
> > has a command line interpreter and a very regular set of rules.
>
>   I was locked in a few choices, I know perl very well, I know python
>   quite well. I know lisp enough to love it.
>
>   the question is maintenance. and I wonder if I write perl so much
>   better than python that it would be a good idea. then again, I'm not
>   that happy producing code in either.
>
>   and right now, I don't have time. :(
>
> > Have fun (if at all possible),
>
>   oh, we do try.

if you like lisp, use perl -- lists of lists are lists :-)  it's
especially convienent for things like LVM, which are... well...
lists.

--
 Steven Lembark                                   2930 W. Palmer St.
                                                 Chicago, IL  60647