[linux-lvm] odd problem

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Tue May 1 23:12:47 UTC 2001

Todd Underwood writes:
> All was working well but recently i needed to reboot (i was unable to
> increase the size of my / with the online ext2 tools and it was full
> --not sure what the error was there, or whether that is relevant).

Probably not relevant, but it is of interest to me what sort of problems
you had.  I assume you have patched the kernel with the online ext2
kernel patches and also enabled CONFIG_EXT2_RESIZE?  You should not have
any problems resizing root.

> lvm -- lvm_chr_ioctl:  unknown command 4004fe0a

Expected behaviour with new tools (compatibility reasons).  However, it
_does_ indicate that you do not have beta7 LVM kernel code.

> VGS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
> change_root: old root has d_count=3
> Trying to unmount old root ... <7>uhci.c: suspect_hd
> okay

Don't know about this.

> a bunch of other stuff

Hmm...

> Activating swap partitions swapon: /dev/rootvg/swap: Invalid argument
> Setting hostname zapata.staff.osogrande.net execvp: No such file or
> directory
>
> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:  domainname: command not found
>
> and so on.  looks like nothing's mounted.  the same kernel boots fine with
> an older root fs on a 'real' partition.

Do you run "vgchange -a y" (and optionally vgscan) in startup scripts?
There is a "LVM root howto" somewhere on the Sistina site.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger                               Turbolinux filesystem development