[linux-lvm] Can't pvcreate second partition...

Darren Young darren_young at yahoo.com
Sun May 6 17:36:13 UTC 2001

Funny, I had the same issue at the same time. I
created /dev/hdb7 with fdisk and then a pvcreate just
after. pvcreate stated that the dev didn't exist.
Reboot fixed the problem. This could be a problem for
machines already up in production with small windows
for restarts. Why is this necessary and will it become
a "non-issue" in future releases? If this will be
necessary forever, then some simple planning would
solve the problem, at least on new installations. Any
way around this?

On another note, I have a customer running Oracle that
wishes to move to a LVM configuration. They are
extremely reliant on the machine being up and it's
very active. Is LVM at a point where I can safely
install it on a critical system? Loaded question, I
know, but I need some honest feedback.

I finally have it up and running on two machines and
to those that have developed it, it's really freakin'
cool.

An off topic question, but I think this is the best
place to start. How could one build "network logical
volumes"? Let's say I have 5 machines running LVM and
each one has a 10G /export volume. I want to take all
the export volumes off each machine and create one
large "network volume" of 50G. Then, from each client
I would like to mount that volume at /bignet or
something. Maybe if it could do a pseudo raid across
the 5 machines. If machine a went down, then data
could be gotten from another one since it's striped. I
know I could do read only redundancy with NFS, but i'd
like to be able to write. I think MS calls their
solution to this type of scenario DFS. Something like
this around for UNIX? Specifically Linux, but also
Solaris. Any pointers or suggestions would be great.

Darren Young