[linux-lvm] Am I patching the kernel incorrectly??

Rupert Heesom raheesom at navpoint.com
Tue May 8 12:25:01 UTC 2001

I had previously patched the kernel (stock 2.4.3) with the beta 6 patch.

Now I'm trying to update to beta 7.  I tried patching the kernel is
exactly the same way as before (maybe a mistake).  Most of the output is
pasted in here (at the end).  I'm concerned about the prompts I got -

"Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n]"

As you can see, I decided to reply "Y".  Was that a correct assumption?

Afterwards I read the man page on "patch" and am now even less sure that
I did the right thing.

I don't want to compile the kernel modules (I have lvm as a module)
until I know that the source is in good condition.

patching file drivers/md/Makefile
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n] y
The next patch would delete the file drivers/md/lvm-snap.h,
which does not exist!  Assume -R? [n] y
patching file drivers/md/lvm-snap.h
patching file Documentation/ioctl-number.txt
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n] y
Hunk #1 succeeded at 187 (offset 1 line).

--
regs
rupert