[linux-lvm] LVM questions & problems.

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Tue May 8 16:25:11 UTC 2001

Heinz writes:
> On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 11:57:03AM -0400, Rupert Heesom wrote:
> > It seems I will try to learn how to use teh e2fsadm util.  BTW one of
> > the utils seems to be commercial from Powerquest.  I have the v4 of
> > Partition Magic already.  I know it resizes ext2 filesystems, but as far
> > as I know needs to be run from within windows (it's been a long time
> > since I've used it last).  Are the utils such as e2fsadm sufficient /
> > good enough without the commercial PM util?
>
> You need to get the resize2fs tool (by Ted Ts'o and Powerquest) in order
> to run e2fsadm.
>
> resize2fs might already be contained in your distribution.

If you have e2fsprogs 1.19 then it contains resize2fs.  The deal Ted had
with Powerquest is that resize2fs would become GPL after 2 years or so.

The e2fsadm program can use ext2resize (http://ext2resize.sourceforge.net)
instead of resize2fs.  If you patch your kernel with the ext2online patch,
then you can even use e2fsadm to grow the LV and ext2 filesystem without
unmounting it.

Cheers, Andreas