[linux-lvm] Patching my kernel.

Rupert Heesom raheesom at navpoint.com
Thu May 10 22:48:44 UTC 2001

Well, Joe:

It worked this time.  As I write this, the kernel is compiling itself
after the patch install.

I think I know what went wrong last time......I'd just finished
discussing with someone how to retain the kernel config settings from
the previously used source tree.  What I did last time was to copy the
old .config file into /usr/src/linux.  Do the "make oldconfig" command,
THEN do the patch install.

Obviously from what I've seen now, I need to to the patch install before
the "make oldconfig".   I should have mentioned it in my post to you,
but I probably didn't think of it!

On 09 May 2001 19:58:43 +0100, Joe Thornber wrote:
> On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 07:43:14AM -0400, Rupert Heesom wrote:
>
> hmmmm... not sure what you've done here.  It looks like the patch
> generation has gone astray.  My advice is to start with a fresh LVM dir:
>
> untar clean kernel
> untar LVM_beta7
> cd LVM
> ./configure
> cd PATCHES
> make
> cd /usr/src/linux
> patch -p1 < <where ever>/LVM/PATCHES/lvm-0.9.1_beta7-2.4.3.patch
>
> If this doesn't work please send me (off list) the LVM patch so I can
> see what has gone wrong.
>
> Also please be aware that beta7 needs an extra little patch to fix the
> get_hardblocksize -> hardsectsize name change.  Search this mailing
> list for it, or grab code from CVS.

I forgot about this....  but looking at the msgs regarding what you
mentioned here, looks like it's s/390 code, so not something that will
affect my intel processor.

> > What a learning curve!!  What next?
>
> Please persevere, it gets easy once you've done it a couple of times.

Yes, I didn't mean that to come across sharply. I *ALWAYS* persevere!
When I first started with Linux, it took me 2 WEEKS to get diald working
on my PC so that I could use the internet the way I wanted (2 days
because of a pw typed into the config file wrong!).

--
regs
rupert