[linux-lvm] SCSI/LVM problems after power outage

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Fri May 11 08:00:00 UTC 2001

"Day, Evan" wrote:

> It looks like device 2 is having issues:
>
> SCSI disk error : host 2 channel 0 id 2 lun 0 return code = 18000002
>
> However, it has been several years since I worked with Sun machines, so I
> could be wrong.  Regardless, it doesn't sound like an LVM issue, but a
> hardware issue.  Unfortunately, I can't offer much recovery advice - most of
> my LVM experience is with HP-UX, and we use mirroring (RAID-1) at work -
> just unplug the bad drive, plug in a new one, and do a vgsync.  I think you
> can add a replacement drive to the VG and use pvmove to try and move the PEs
> from the bad drive to the new drive, but I wouldn't take my word for it...

LVM -- or raid -- shouldn't normally be able to cause scsi-level
errors.  ext2 might complain about hoked up data, but the scsi
stuff happens at the circut level.  looks like your disk got fried.

you might want to try running a low-level scsi check on the disk
(non-destructive, hopefully).  this would also be a really good
time to verify your backups...

--
 Steven Lembark                                   2930 W. Palmer St.
                                                 Chicago, IL  60647