[linux-lvm] Software RAID and LVM hangs

Jens Bruckmann bruck at suse.de
Tue May 15 13:20:51 UTC 2001

Hallo,

I have problems using software-RAID and LVM. We have connected two HP
XP256 via two fiber channel controllers and want to mirror from one
storage-box to the other. So I set up a RAID1-device /dev/md0 which
mirrors from one LUN of the 1st box to another LUN in the 2nd box. After
that, I set up a VG on that device with one LV.

So far, all works fine.

Then we tested, what happens, if one link to one of the two boxes fails
and we saw, that the software raid does not continue working if one link
is down. As I understand, the RAID1 should go on working on the second
copy and do a resync after the failed connection returns (that's what I
know from HP-UX with MirrorDisk/UX).

In /proc/mdstat you cannot see any hint, that one link is broken.

Do you have any solutions for this behaviour. Otherwise it would not make
any sense to use the software-raid in a high-availability environment.

Thanks a lot.....

Bye,

	Jens

Jens Bruckmann              .-.       Mail:    jens.bruckmann at suse.de
SuSE Linux Solutions AG     /v\       Phone:   +49 - 40 - 89 69 82 18
Friesenweg 5F              // \\      Fax:     +49 - 40 - 85 40 04 35
D-22763 Hamburg           /(   )\
                           ^^-^^