[linux-lvm] main drive fail

Thomas Inglis thomas at n-ary.com
Thu May 17 12:48:20 UTC 2001

I am running lvm-0.9.1.beta1 on redhat 7.0 with a 2.4.4 kernel.

I have four drives, one main 'boot' drive and three drives which were used
with LVM. All was fine and dandy until the main boot drive failed. Ouch.

I have reinstalled Redhat, and lvm-0.9.1.beta1 (thought id go with what it
had before) and built the kernel again, then rebooted.

Now the problem.
lvscan, vgdiaplay & vgscan tells me there are no voulume groups defined.

vgcreate lvmGroup /dev/hdb1 /dev/hdc1 /dev/hdd1
informs me the drive(s) are already part of the lvmGroup

pvcreate lvmGroup /dev/hdb1 /dev/hdc1 /dev/hdd1
with the -ff switch want to initialise the drive, so I thought it prudent to
tell it no.

How can I renistate my volumes? It appears they are still valid on the
drive, but I cant seem to create or reinstate the group.

Thomas

n-ary .. .. .. functionality through creativity
http://www.n-ary.com/ +44 (1387) 242800

tagServlet ... a java alternative to ColdFusion!
http://www.tagServlet.com/