[linux-lvm] Problems: reiserfs lvm as /

Peter Kirk pwk.linuxfan at gmx.de
Sat May 19 14:33:36 UTC 2001

Hi,

I am new to LVM, and I ran into some problems.
First thing I did, was to setup LVM within the SuSE7.1 setup tools, which
worked out fine.
/boot is not on LVM, ext2fs
swap is not on LVM
LVM:
	/	[reiserfs]
	/usr	[reiserfs]
	/home	[reiserfs]

I have too disks, so I set the strip option to two, to get better
performance. Now I want to compile a new kernel (2.4.4), and I cannot get lvm
working with it. Since root is on LVM I need to do this lvmcreate_initrd
stuff, but it does not work ! I get:

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 file system).
attempt to access beyond end of device
01:00: rw=0, want=4612, limit=4096
attempt to access beyond end of device
01:00: rw=0, want=4613, limit=4096
attempt to access beyond end of device
01:00: rw=0, want=4614, limit=4096
attempt to access beyond end of device
01:00: rw=0, want=4615, limit=4096
VFS: Cannot open root device "3a02" or 3a:02
Please append the correct "root=" boot option
kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 3a:02

in lilo.conf it says:
boot=/dev/raid/root
This should be the correct root. It works with the old 2.4.0 Kernel made from
SuSE, propably something is with the initrd or with the Kernel-Setup

Please help !!
Thanks