[linux-lvm] Problems: reiserfs lvm as /

Peter Kirk pwk.linuxfan at gmx.de
Sat May 19 17:15:31 UTC 2001

Sorry,
it was a typo, I ment "root=", the lilo.conf should not be my problem, since
it works with the 2.4.0 Kernel from SuSE, and I have just about the same
settings. But anyhow I'll put the lilo.conf on the end.

Am Samstag, 19. Mai 2001 18:18 schrieben Sie:
> Peter,
>
> "boot=" in lilo.conf indicates on which device's MBR lilo is going to be
> installed (I think).
>
> There should be a "root=" entry in lilo.conf as well that indicates where
> your root filesystem is located. Can you send your complete lilo.conf file?
>
> Peter Kirk wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am new to LVM, and I ran into some problems.
> > First thing I did, was to setup LVM within the SuSE7.1 setup tools, which
> > worked out fine.
> > /boot is not on LVM, ext2fs
> > swap is not on LVM
> > LVM:
> >         /       [reiserfs]
> >         /usr    [reiserfs]
> >         /home   [reiserfs]
> >
> > I have too disks, so I set the strip option to two, to get better
> > performance. Now I want to compile a new kernel (2.4.4), and I cannot get
> > lvm working with it. Since root is on LVM I need to do this
> > lvmcreate_initrd stuff, but it does not work ! I get:
> >
> > VFS: Mounted root (ext2 file system).
> > attempt to access beyond end of device
> > 01:00: rw=0, want=4612, limit=4096
> > attempt to access beyond end of device
> > 01:00: rw=0, want=4613, limit=4096
> > attempt to access beyond end of device
> > 01:00: rw=0, want=4614, limit=4096
> > attempt to access beyond end of device
> > 01:00: rw=0, want=4615, limit=4096
> > VFS: Cannot open root device "3a02" or 3a:02
> > Please append the correct "root=" boot option
> > kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 3a:02
> >
> > in lilo.conf it says:
> > boot=/dev/raid/root
> > This should be the correct root. It works with the old 2.4.0 Kernel made
> > from SuSE, propably something is with the initrd or with the Kernel-Setup
> >
> > Please help !!
> > Thanks

--------------------lilo.conf
# LILO configuration file
# Start LILO global Section
# If you want to prevent console users to boot with init=/bin/bash,
#  restrict usage of boot params by setting a passwd and using the option
#  restricted.
#password=bootpwd
#restricted
append="vga=0x0301"
boot=/dev/hda
#compact       # faster, but won't work on all systems.
vga = normal    # force sane state
menu-scheme=Wg:kw:Wg:Wg
read-only
prompt