[linux-lvm] Converting my Root file system to LVM

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Tue May 22 23:25:19 UTC 2001

Rupert Heesom writes:
> Now, when I boot up into the LVM partition, I get the following error
> msgs -
>
> lvm - Module successfully initialised.
> /sbin/vgscan: sed: command not found.
> /sbin/vgscan: /lib/lvm-iop10/: is a directory
> /sbin/vgscan: exec: /lib/lvm-iop10/: cannot execute:  permission denied.
>
> /sbin/vgchange:  <same msgs>
>
> Obviously the kernel can't find the LVM tools.  Would these not be
> included in the lvm initrd?  If they are, and the kernel still can't
> find them, what do I change so that the kernel CAN find the LVM tools?

No, the problem is in the wrapper script for the LVM tools.  It is using
"sed" in the script, but that is not on the initrd.  I don't see sed in
my LVM wrapper script, so you must have a different one.  Either fix the
wrapper script (edit /sbin/vgscan should be enough), or add "sed" to the
list of required files, INITRDFILES, in lvmcreate_initrd.

Cheers, Andreas