[linux-lvm] Converting my Root file system to LVM

Rupert Heesom raheesom at navpoint.com
Wed May 23 13:14:54 UTC 2001

On 23 May 2001 16:01:37 +1200, Steve Wray wrote:
> > From: linux-lvm-admin at sistina.com [mailto:linux-lvm-admin at sistina.com]On
> > Behalf Of Rupert Heesom
>
> > Tnx, Steve for the easy howto of your's below.
> > BTW, what on earth is that "mount -o loop" command?
>
> Glad to have helped!
> the "-o loop" tells mount to mount the file on the loopback device.
> This allows ordinary files (not just block devices) to carry a filesystem.
> Its quite cool!
> :)

That IS pretty cool.

> > Since my LVol is on my 2nd disk, next, I think I'll try extending my
> > Lvol back to cover my 1st disk as well.
>
> Just watch out for your /boot parition.
> You might want to copy lilo.conf over to the /boot partition
> and make /etc/lilo.conf a symlink to it there.

Yes, I've done that already.  The suggestion was in the man page for
"lvmcreate_initrd".

> > One more bit of help, if you can? -
> >
> > I want to pvmove the file contents of my 2nd disk (/dev/sdb) to my 1st
> > disk (/dev/sda).  My 1st disk is nice & quiet!  Now the lvm-howto
> > specifies my next step (adding the "old partition" into the Lvol) as --
>
> phew... I have no idea about moving things from PV to PV,
> however, you may want to look at setting up a miniroot-in-a-ramdisk
> for this sort of thing. I suspect you need to have the VGs deactivated,
> and you can't do *that* when its in use as the root LV.

I think the concept is covered (to a degree) in the lvm-howto under
"removing an old disk" or something like that.

I've practiced this pvmove thing on my 2nd disk when it was spare.
>From what I remember, the both PVs had to be inside a VG.  The pvmove
itself wasn't a problem for me, but the LV had to be dismounted to
resize it. I will have to extend my LV & resize the file system using
e2fsadm, so I will have to dismount the root volume.  It sounds like I
DO need the root ram disk which you mention.  I'll read up about it.

> Check out;
> http://innominate.org/~graichen/projects/miniroot
>
> miniroot is fantastic, but it needs some work to make it useful
> for LVM.
> Mainly, just unzip and mount it (like you did for the initrd file before)
> and copy over the lvm programs and libraries.
>
> You'll need to set up a lilo entry too, of course.
> I think its well documented.
>
> BTW; I'd *seriously* recommend this for anyone with LVM root.
> It can get you out of trouble!

regs
rupert