[linux-lvm] Is now: Resizing & LVM shutdown

Steve Wray steve.wray at the.net.nz
Thu May 24 07:01:53 UTC 2001

> From: linux-lvm-admin at sistina.com [mailto:linux-lvm-admin at sistina.com]On
> Behalf Of S. Michael Denton
>
> Yes, the docs say that online ext2 resizing is dangerous, but I think
> it's just that the docs haven't been updated in some time :)
> I've done several online ext2 resizes (before going to reiser) and they've
> all been successful.  The only real danger lies in a crash during a resize
> in progress (not a whole lot you can do with ANY filesystem there... just
> hope everything is journaled properly and can be recovered).  Personally,
> I just ignore the warning that it's 'dangerous' :)

Yes, and the phrase "everything is journaled properly" is important.
I know for sure that ReiserFS *only* journals metadata.
I've *heard* that ext3 journals "everything" including data blocks.
Anyone know about XFS?

Personally, I think that only journalling metadata is *dangerous*...
after all, the filesystem *looks* just dandy but data in files
could well be corrupted and you'll never know until things
start crashing in an apparent attempt to imitate Windoze...